Wednesday 25 January 2012

New template, book reviews and vampires.

I decided to change the face of my blog, I'm liking it, but I don't like that my name is aligned to the left instead of center, but I can't work out how to change it.

I've been off from college the last two days because I've got a throat infection. So, I've spent two days reading and sleeping. I've finished reading a book called Finding Sky by Joss Stirling. I have to admit that I wasn't too impressed, the book started off well but when it got to half way it just sort of lagged. Maybe it's because I'm practically twenty years old and it's a book that is written for around the 14+ age range. But I think it's more the fact that it was just a bit boring. One of those books that means well, but when it comes to it is actually a bit.. rubbish?

Last night I started reading Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris, one of the Sookie Stackhouse novels or True Blood. I'm not too far in but I have to say that so far I am enjoying it. After the whole Twilight phase, I felt a bit disillusioned by all the vampire hype. I read Twilight when I was 15 and loved it, re-read 2 years later with an A Level in English Lit and realised just how terribly written and incredibly sexist it is. So, after that I just expected all vampire books to be the same fan-girl kind of crap, unfair to Bram Stoker and Anne Rice, I know. However, my friend told me to give True Blood a go, and I had the entire series in Ebooks given to me by a friend of my mum's. And so I started last night. Charlaine Harris sets the scene perfectly, her descriptions allow you to really see Bon Temps and as a narrator Sookie is brilliant, she shows some naivety that comes from 25 years of virginity but this is outweighed by what she can see in the minds of others.
So far, I am really enjoying Dead Until Dark and am looking forward to finishing it and carrying on the series.

I have also just filled in an application form to work in a care home for elderly people with dementia. If I'm feeling better tomorrow then I am hoping to pop in and drop it off. Who knows, maybe after 3 years I won't be working in 'catering' any more..? I hope so, although I will miss Frankie's a bit, I've made some good friends there, but it's not what I want to do and it's time to move on. Mental health nursing ro midwifery are the careers I want to go into and waitressing won't get me there, and caring will.

Really, that's all I have to say for now. Just a quick update and a couple of half hearted book reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty template! Love your blog, I'm following now :) Feel free to check out mine!

    Laura x
    Petit Chatons

    ReplyDelete